In the back corner of the market, along the fence with Beet’s Auto, you’ll find Sabino Amaro and his son Ismael at Amaro’s Produce. Sabino and his wife Reyna farm in Forest Grove and Hillsboro. They’re graduates of Adelante Agricultura, a sustainable agriculture program where they learned organic farming practices. Amaro’s offers most of the kitchen staple vegetables, plus berries, stone fruit, and eggs. But the stand is always worth a stop to see what specialty items they have, as every week it seems there’s something new and different. Starting in spring we found asparagus and alpine strawberries, then gooseberries, and more recently there were squash blossoms. Last week they brought papalo and pipicha, two herbs used in Mexican cooking. In August expect to see sunflowers, and a bounty of peppers, both hot and sweet. (And, we hope, roasted peppers onsite. You’ll know they brought the roaster when that delicious aroma wafts all along Stark Street!) Fall brings apples and Asian pears. With the variety Amaro’s brings to Montavilla, you won’t want to miss a single week of the market!
Have you seen our beautiful 2014 Montavilla Farmer’s Market poster yet? It was designed by the talented folks over at Propel Studio, and we love it! We are so proud of our poster that we have entered it into the 2014 Farmer’s Market Coalition Poster Contest! The Coalition is a non-profit whose mission is to strengthen farmers markets for the benefit of farmers, consumers, and communities.
Toward that end, the priorities of Coalition are:
- To serve as an information center for farmers markets.
- To be a voice for North American farmers market advocacy.
- To foster strong state and regional farmers market associations.
- To bring private and public support to the table to sustain farmers markets in the long term, for the benefit of farmers, consumers, and communities.
- To promote farmers markets to the public.
- To develop and provide educational programming and networking opportunities for farmers market managers and farmers market vendors.
The Coalition has been a great friend to us, and we are excited to be a part of their poster contest this year. If you would like to know more about the Coalition, visit their webpage. Also be sure to vote for our poster on or before July 27th. Simply “like” our poster on Facebook! Your vote could help us win “Fan Favorite” which would earn the Market $200 to go towards our community projects.