- 1-2 folks to help with Set-up from 8:30-9:30.
- 3-4 folks to help with Tear-Down from 2-2:45.
Montavilla Farmers Market could not run without the dedication of our wonderful volunteers. Thank you for your support!
Sunday June 3rd is the start to our 6th season, and we are so excited to be back for another year. It also happens to be the 100th time MFM has pitched our tents, welcomed our friends and neighbors, and indulged in fresh, local produce and market goods. We think that being around for 100 markets is something to celebrate! To thank you, our loyal customers, for being with us on this wild ride we’ll be raffling off fabulous prizes all day long! Our Stark Street neighbor businesses have shown their love for our market once again and donated a slew of prizes. And we’ll have new MFM t-shirts, $100 in market tokens, and 100 fruits and veggies from our vendors!! Stop by the raffle booth to get your tickets at $1 a pop, and get ready for some great treats.
- Montavilla Farmers Market – $100 in tokens, market produce basket, and MFM t-shirts
- Portland Tub and Tan – gift certificates and posters
- Pottery Fun – gift certificates
- Allevate – gift certificate
- Personal Beast – dog treats and toy
- Flying Pie Pizza – gift certificates
- Branch and Birdie - gift certificate
- It’s A Gift – gift bag with candle, soap and lotion
- Union Rose - gift certificate
- Maven – gift certificate
- Pastrygirl - gift certificate and cookies
- Portland Massage - gift certificate
- Academy Theater – movie passes
- Oregon Bikes – Giro Bike Helmet
- International Grocery Store - bag of fun grocery items
We are excited to bring back our lunchtime chef demos this season. We’ve got a great lineup of talented local chefs ranging from vegan fare to cheese making and everything in between. Some special demos this year will be the festive Halloween market and an awesome deep fried turkey demo and tasting, complete with stuffing and side dishes at the Thanksgiving market.
Join us at the market each Sunday at noon to learn culinary tips and nutritional insights from many of Portland’s finest chefs! Then shop the market to stock up on fresh produce and goods to recreate their recipes at home. Be sure to check our website each week for a profile on these talented individuals. Here’s the lowdown on our fantastic 2012 schedule!
- June 3rd – Marliese Franklin – Local Chef, radio show host and mindful eating coach
- June 10th – Aaron Adams – Portobello Vegan Trattoria
- June 17th – Sophie Rahman – Masala
- June 24th – Paul Losch – DOC – Fresh Pasta
- July 1st – Christopher Carriker – The Gilt Club
- July 8th – Andrea Nakayama – Replenishpdx – Certified Nutritional Educator
- July 15th – Jason P. McCammon – Culinary Arts Teacher
- July 22nd – Abby Fammartino – Abby’s Table
- July 29th – Claudia Lucero – Urban Cheesecraft - Cheese Making
- August 5th – Eric Joppie – Bar Avaignon
- August 12th – Dax Erickson – Multnomah Athletic Club
- August 19st – Daniel Miller – Adalu Stew. Eating for Cancer Care
- August 26th – Laura Widener – Pastrygirl
- September 2nd – Slow Foods Portland
- September 9th – David Farrell – Cabezon Restaruant and Fish Market
- September 16th – Tressa Yellig – Salt, Fire and Time
- September 23th – Nathan Gerdes – Kask
- September 30th – Julie Merry, The Merry Kitchen – Kids Cooking
- October 7th – Leather Storrs – Noble Rot
- October 14th – Julie Hasson, Native Bowl and Cookbook Author
- October 21rd –Caleb McBee – Skin and Bones
- October 28th – Jason P. McCammon – Culinary Arts Teacher – Special Halloween Market!
- November 18th – Mike Eels – The Country Cat - Deep Fried Turkey, Stuffing and Sides!
Our 2012 season is just around the corner. We can’t wait for our June 3rd opening day! We are working away getting everything ready for another wonderful season, and we’d love for you to join us. There are many ways to be part of the magic of the Montavilla Farmers Market. Join us for our Volunteer Orientation on May 20th (10am -12pm) at the market site to learn how you can pitch in. You’ll receive hands-on training on how to help set-up and tear-down the market, help with our durable dish program and recycling station, help at our info booth, etc. You can sign up to volunteer at the market now. Take a look at our calendar to see the different volunteer roles happening each Sunday, and email your preferred shifts to our volunteer coordinator.
April 15 – 21 is National Volunteer Week, and we want to say a big THANK YOU to the wonderful volunteers who make our market possible. The Montavilla Farmers Market is a grassroots, volunteer-run organization and many folks work hard behind the scene to bring together local farmers, producers, and community members each week of our season. From our Board of Directors, to our graphic designers and photographers, to our hands on helpers each week – we couldn’t do it without you.
For our 2012 season, the Montavilla Farmers Market is launching our MFM Veggie Corps volunteer program to help coordinate the important role volunteers play in our market. There are so many ways to be part of the crew, include setting up and tearing down the market, activity facilitation and assistance, people counting, and many others! Contact Taunia to get involved, and join us for our Volunteer Orientation on May 20th (10 am – 12 pm) to learn how you can pitch in. Volunteer energy is the power source that makes our market grow and thrive. Join in the fun and help make 2012 our best season yet!
Do you love the Montavilla Farmers Market and want to get more involved? Now is your chance! We are filling two staff positions for our 2012 season. Learn more about the positions on our Jobs page and send in your application by 5 pm on March 30. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Financial Operations Coordinator
The primary areas of responsibility for this position include:
- SNAP/Debit/Market Currency (token) program liaison and administrator
- ACH primary vendor contact and administrator of reimbursements
- Weekly POS (point of sale) and Market Currency balancing/reconciliation
- Onsite cash handling and merchandise sales
- Onsite information booth manager
We are seeking a candidate that has:
- A background in accounting or bookkeeping via professional or educational experience
- Experience with cash handling
- Experience with tracking inventory
- Created and maintained spreadsheets
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong organization skills and accountability
- A passion for food justice
Market Operations Coordinator
The primary areas of responsibility for this position include:
- Onsite volunteer management on Market day
- Onsite execution of Durable Dish program
- Onsite Market Manager and Financial Operations Coordinator backup support
We are seeking a candidate that possesses:
- Strong leadership abilities
- Demonstrated verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a collaborative environment
- A background in organizing and managing volunteers
- The ability to build rapport quickly and easily with people from various demographics