October 31 may fall on a Wednesday this year, but that won’t stop us from having some Halloween fun at our Sunday market! Bring your kids (or your dogs!) to the market in their Halloween finest on October 28, and they just might head home with a prize from our costume contest nestled in their produce basket. We’ll have a costume parade around the market at noon to display all the superheros, princesses, ghosts, and goblins. Market favorite Chef Jason McCannon will be back for a hands-on kids cooking demonstration and pumpkin carving. Then after visiting the market, pop in to the shops along Stark Street for some trick-or-treating!
We know Fall has just arrived, but the Montavilla Farmers Market is already looking forward to winter! We are once again extending our season with Winter Stock-up Markets. These are two-hour, farm and producer-direct markets without all the extras of our regular markets, but full of great winter produce and goods. We will still have the EBT/Debit Token program available, but none of the regular season’s chef demos, market merchandise, or community tables. You can expect to find what’s seasonal, local, fresh, and direct in a quick and easy one-stop shopping venue. Be sure to stop by and stock up on farm fresh eggs, cheeses, winter produce and fruits, storable crops and more.
We look forward to providing a winter venue to connect our vendors with the regular customers of the Montavilla Farmers Market, supporting pre-arranged sales, bulk buying, CSA pick-ups and regular monthly farm/producer deliveries to our site. The Markets will be held on the second Sundays of the month in December, January, and February from 11am-1pm on our market site (7600 block of SE Stark Street). Vendor applications are now being accepted through our website. Sign up for our newsletter to receive reminders about each market including the lineup of vendors who will be there each month.
Want to show the world how much you love the Montavilla Farmers Market? Pick up a market t-shirt to show off your MFM pride! We love our new shirts this season. They are printed locally on soft shirts made with 100% organic cotton mixed with hemp. With different veggie designs and colors to chose from, you can look mighty fancy in your comfy market tee. We just got in a new batch of shirts, so stop by the Info Booth this Sunday and take one home!
The Montavilla Farmers Market’s Community Tabling Program is designed to give non-profits and local community groups an opportunity to reach a broad audience while providing our diverse customer base with information about key programs and opportunities. The second Sunday in July, August, and September are this year’s Community Tabling dates.
For the July 8th market, we hosted ANDEO Homestays, Montavilla Co-op, Campfire Columbia, and Green Mountain Energy. Here is a brief word about each group:
• ANDEO Homestays promotes cross-cultural understanding and friendship through international homestays. The name itself isn’t an acronym or a word from another language. Instead, “ANDEO” is easy to pronounce in any language. So, it’s not what it means, it’s what it conveys: sharing, communication, and acceptance.
• The Montavilla Co-op, much like the Montavilla Farmers Market, began as an idea among neighbors who shared a common vision of accessible fresh, delicious, and affordable food for all. As the co-op works toward a storefront and signing up new members, it continues its admirable push for “great food for a great neighborhood.”
• Campfire Columbia’s mission is to build caring confident youth and future leaders. They partner with local kids, schools, and families to provide diverse programming that supports academic achievement, builds social and life skills, fosters community engagement, and develops career and college readiness.
• Green Mountain Energy has the goal to change the way power if made. Since their inception in 1997, GME’s customers have helped avoid more than 19.4 billion pounds of CO2 emissions—equal to taking over 1.7 million cars off the
road for a year!
The Montavilla Farmers Market is proud to support these great organizations and will continue to provide a forum for networking and community development. Stay tuned for information about upcoming community tablers!
- 1-2 folks to help with Set-up from 8:30-9:30.
- 3-4 folks to help with Tear-Down from 2-2:45.
Montavilla Farmers Market could not run without the dedication of our wonderful volunteers. Thank you for your support!
Sunday June 3rd is the start to our 6th season, and we are so excited to be back for another year. It also happens to be the 100th time MFM has pitched our tents, welcomed our friends and neighbors, and indulged in fresh, local produce and market goods. We think that being around for 100 markets is something to celebrate! To thank you, our loyal customers, for being with us on this wild ride we’ll be raffling off fabulous prizes all day long! Our Stark Street neighbor businesses have shown their love for our market once again and donated a slew of prizes. And we’ll have new MFM t-shirts, $100 in market tokens, and 100 fruits and veggies from our vendors!! Stop by the raffle booth to get your tickets at $1 a pop, and get ready for some great treats.
- Montavilla Farmers Market – $100 in tokens, market produce basket, and MFM t-shirts
- Portland Tub and Tan – gift certificates and posters
- Pottery Fun – gift certificates
- Allevate – gift certificate
- Personal Beast – dog treats and toy
- Flying Pie Pizza – gift certificates
- Branch and Birdie - gift certificate
- It’s A Gift – gift bag with candle, soap and lotion
- Union Rose - gift certificate
- Maven – gift certificate
- Pastrygirl - gift certificate and cookies
- Portland Massage - gift certificate
- Academy Theater – movie passes
- Oregon Bikes – Giro Bike Helmet
- International Grocery Store - bag of fun grocery items