Want to show the world how much you love the Montavilla Farmers Market? Pick up a market t-shirt to show off your MFM pride! We love our new shirts this season. They are printed locally on soft shirts made with 100% organic cotton mixed with hemp. With different veggie designs and colors to chose from, you can look mighty fancy in your comfy market tee. We just got in a new batch of shirts, so stop by the Info Booth this Sunday and take one home!
The Montavilla Farmers Market’s Community Tabling Program is designed to give non-profits and local community groups an opportunity to reach a broad audience while providing our diverse customer base with information about key programs and opportunities. The second Sunday in July, August, and September are this year’s Community Tabling dates.
For the July 8th market, we hosted ANDEO Homestays, Montavilla Co-op, Campfire Columbia, and Green Mountain Energy. Here is a brief word about each group:
• ANDEO Homestays promotes cross-cultural understanding and friendship through international homestays. The name itself isn’t an acronym or a word from another language. Instead, “ANDEO” is easy to pronounce in any language. So, it’s not what it means, it’s what it conveys: sharing, communication, and acceptance.
• The Montavilla Co-op, much like the Montavilla Farmers Market, began as an idea among neighbors who shared a common vision of accessible fresh, delicious, and affordable food for all. As the co-op works toward a storefront and signing up new members, it continues its admirable push for “great food for a great neighborhood.”
• Campfire Columbia’s mission is to build caring confident youth and future leaders. They partner with local kids, schools, and families to provide diverse programming that supports academic achievement, builds social and life skills, fosters community engagement, and develops career and college readiness.
• Green Mountain Energy has the goal to change the way power if made. Since their inception in 1997, GME’s customers have helped avoid more than 19.4 billion pounds of CO2 emissions—equal to taking over 1.7 million cars off the
road for a year!
The Montavilla Farmers Market is proud to support these great organizations and will continue to provide a forum for networking and community development. Stay tuned for information about upcoming community tablers!
- 1-2 folks to help with Set-up from 8:30-9:30.
- 3-4 folks to help with Tear-Down from 2-2:45.
Montavilla Farmers Market could not run without the dedication of our wonderful volunteers. Thank you for your support!
Sunday June 3rd is the start to our 6th season, and we are so excited to be back for another year. It also happens to be the 100th time MFM has pitched our tents, welcomed our friends and neighbors, and indulged in fresh, local produce and market goods. We think that being around for 100 markets is something to celebrate! To thank you, our loyal customers, for being with us on this wild ride we’ll be raffling off fabulous prizes all day long! Our Stark Street neighbor businesses have shown their love for our market once again and donated a slew of prizes. And we’ll have new MFM t-shirts, $100 in market tokens, and 100 fruits and veggies from our vendors!! Stop by the raffle booth to get your tickets at $1 a pop, and get ready for some great treats.
- Montavilla Farmers Market – $100 in tokens, market produce basket, and MFM t-shirts
- Portland Tub and Tan – gift certificates and posters
- Pottery Fun – gift certificates
- Allevate – gift certificate
- Personal Beast – dog treats and toy
- Flying Pie Pizza – gift certificates
- Branch and Birdie - gift certificate
- It’s A Gift – gift bag with candle, soap and lotion
- Union Rose - gift certificate
- Maven – gift certificate
- Pastrygirl - gift certificate and cookies
- Portland Massage - gift certificate
- Academy Theater – movie passes
- Oregon Bikes – Giro Bike Helmet
- International Grocery Store - bag of fun grocery items
We are excited to bring back our lunchtime chef demos this season. We’ve got a great lineup of talented local chefs ranging from vegan fare to cheese making and everything in between. Some special demos this year will be the festive Halloween market and an awesome deep fried turkey demo and tasting, complete with stuffing and side dishes at the Thanksgiving market.
Join us at the market each Sunday at noon to learn culinary tips and nutritional insights from many of Portland’s finest chefs! Then shop the market to stock up on fresh produce and goods to recreate their recipes at home. Be sure to check our website each week for a profile on these talented individuals. Here’s the lowdown on our fantastic 2012 schedule!
- June 3rd – Marliese Franklin – Local Chef, radio show host and mindful eating coach
- June 10th – Aaron Adams – Portobello Vegan Trattoria
- June 17th – Sophie Rahman – Masala
- June 24th – Paul Losch – DOC – Fresh Pasta
- July 1st – Christopher Carriker – The Gilt Club
- July 8th – Andrea Nakayama – Replenishpdx – Certified Nutritional Educator
- July 15th – Jason P. McCammon – Culinary Arts Teacher
- July 22nd – Abby Fammartino – Abby’s Table
- July 29th – Claudia Lucero – Urban Cheesecraft - Cheese Making
- August 5th – Eric Joppie – Bar Avaignon
- August 12th – Dax Erickson – Multnomah Athletic Club
- August 19st – Daniel Miller – Adalu Stew. Eating for Cancer Care
- August 26th – Laura Widener – Pastrygirl
- September 2nd – Slow Foods Portland
- September 9th – David Farrell – Cabezon Restaruant and Fish Market
- September 16th – Tressa Yellig – Salt, Fire and Time
- September 23th – Nathan Gerdes – Kask
- September 30th – Julie Merry, The Merry Kitchen – Kids Cooking
- October 7th – Leather Storrs – Noble Rot
- October 14th – Julie Hasson, Native Bowl and Cookbook Author
- October 21rd –Caleb McBee – Skin and Bones
- October 28th – Jason P. McCammon – Culinary Arts Teacher – Special Halloween Market!
- November 18th – Mike Eels – The Country Cat - Deep Fried Turkey, Stuffing and Sides!
Our 2012 season is just around the corner. We can’t wait for our June 3rd opening day! We are working away getting everything ready for another wonderful season, and we’d love for you to join us. There are many ways to be part of the magic of the Montavilla Farmers Market. Join us for our Volunteer Orientation on May 20th (10am -12pm) at the market site to learn how you can pitch in. You’ll receive hands-on training on how to help set-up and tear-down the market, help with our durable dish program and recycling station, help at our info booth, etc. You can sign up to volunteer at the market now. Take a look at our calendar to see the different volunteer roles happening each Sunday, and email your preferred shifts to our volunteer coordinator.